- Category: Self-Help
A large, bullying, arrogant man in a position of wealth and power who feels entitled to experience or own anything he wants is parading through the media blatantly derogating, belittling, humiliating, insulting and sexually molesting women through his words and actions.
If you have a history of being dishonored in any of these ways, Donald Trump's words and non verbal actions we see through media and hear him describe, might well be the cause of your reliving your personal traumas now. You may know this and feel it.
- Category: Psychotherapy and Recovery Work
Vanity, character flaws and psychological weakness are not causes of eating disorders.
Believing they are undermines a person's appreciation of themselves, fosters shame and inhibits seeking real help. It also creates massive confusion when a person with an eating disorder knows she has a strong sense of who she is yet can't find a way to live while honoring herself.
- Category: Culture and Media
Crisis and Tragedy: What Can We Do?
Fear, financial crises, economic uncertainty, incurable illness, quarantine and death penetrates the bubble of safety and security now. Caronavirus, stock market plummeting, travel limited, no clear leadership, conflicting perspectives in duration and consequences. What can I do? What can you do?
Perhaps you've asked yourself these questions. I have an answer. It's the same answer I have for just about everything. It comes in different forms:
- Be as healthy in mind, body and spirit as you possibly can.
- Keep learning, expanding your life and standing up for what you value.
- Give yourself understanding and compassion so you can thrive.
- Give others understanding and compassion so the world thrives. (If you can't, then put yourself in surroundings where you can learn understanding and compassion)
Incredible Power of Your Recovery
Above all, to you, my readers, dig in deeper for your eating disorder recovery. The world needs you. The world needs the wisdom you develop from your tribulations within this illness and in your recovery work. You can share that wisdom once you emerge from your eating disorder whole and clear.
Your journey to recovery makes you a holder of universal knowledge, a message carrier through your thoughts, words and deeds that conveys courage, grace and strength in confronting reality. It empowers you with the kindness required to heal and befriend.
My hope is that bit by bit, step by step, person by person kindness, wisdom and healing will spread through the world so stability and courage to face our challenges permeates us all. Your eating disorder recovery is unique to you. It is centered in you and based on your personal journey. Yet it is part of a universal healing. Every moment of your recovery work matters. Making peace within yourself makes you a source of stability and courage in the world.
Joanna is a private psychotherapist in Los Angeles specializing in eating disorder recovery with women.
For information about her practice see: Psychotherapy with Joanna
*pix public doman, heart, dove, silhouette, love, luck
heart, dove, silhouette, love, luck
- Category: Symptoms
*pix Romantic, colorful, joyous uplifting sight - balloons rising into a beautiful sky. This is pleasure, even elation, in the moment. But, living to keep an ephemeral bit of lovliness as a permanent state of being can be disastrous. Can you enjoy a moment and stay in the reality of cause and effect?
More Articles ...
- Stay in Eating Disorder Recovery on the 4th of July
- Eating Disorder Paradox of Body Obsession and Body Denial
- The real you: overeater and unworthy or creative and valuable? Answer 15 questions to find out.
- Eating Disorder Recovery Challenge: anesthesia or genuine human experience?
- Why do I overeat?
- Seven Ways to Avoid a Binge in Eating Disorder Recovery
- Benevolent smiles in your environment support eating disorder recovery
- Garden lessons for eating disorder recovery
- Healing Power of Psychotherapy Rests in Harmony
- Opinion: Looking at the missing pieces of residential eating disorder treatment programs