- Category: Psychotherapy and Recovery Work
Eating disorder residential treatment: fantasies versus goals
A worried mother called me this morning deeply concerned about her 25 year old daughter. She's looking for a perfect eating disorder residential treatment program. The daughter compulsively overeats and is obese. My concern is that they don't seem to understand the difference between a goal and a fantasy.
Both mother and daughter are looking for an in-patient program that will get the young woman into recovery. They believe the right program will bring the daughter weight loss, a compulsive overeating cure and a happy life free of food compulsions
- Category: Symptoms
Sexual Exploitation and Vulnerable Women's Fantasies
Often in my practice a new patient comes in with a distorted perception of the sexual exploitation in her life. She may have a stalker. She may have a boyfriend or husband who manipulates and uses her sexually. Sometimes she knows it and is afraid. Sometimes she knows it and feels ashamed she can't live up to his expectations.
- Category: Healing Resources
Binge Eating or Starving: Why an eating schedule helps
An eating schedule, a regular and reliable timing for providing yourself with life sustaining nourishment is essential for all living beings. For eating disorder recovery to begin and last, the first challenge is to accept yourself as a human being. That may sound obvious and absurd to even mention. But, if you binge eat you must eat. If you starve you must eat. If you purge you must eat. If you want recovery you have to eat.
- Category: Culture and Media
Anxiety: How Does Self-Care Help?
This disruptive state is enough to trigger binge eating and anxiety attacks.
In the face of such powerful disrupters, what can we for ourselves and others?
More Articles ...
- Anxiety and the Pandemic: How you can understand and help yourself
- Anxiety, Binge Eating, Intimacy Issues: The Fire Alarm Is Not the Fire
- Perfection, Restricting and Eating Disorders
- Restore Balance during Binge Eating, Restricting and Anxiety Relapse
- Healing Wisdom for Binge Eating and Restricting Recovery
- Bulimia Tragedy Behind Her Façade: Eight Questions for you
- Were you alone and binge eating at Christmas? How to ground yourself.
- Good Goals or Binge Eating Triggers? Importance of a clarity check
- Binge Eating Recovery Work: pain and joy
- Eating Disorder Slip over the Holidays: find meaning and recovery