Here are thirteen (thirteen being a break the mold number) activities to help you build your self-esteem.
When we value ourselves we treat ourselves well. We respect ourselves and our needs. We expect respect from others.
When we don't value ourselves we can accept terrible conditions as part of what we consider our normal lives. Low self-esteem contributes to the development and maintenance of an eating disorder and eating disorder thinking.
1. Build self-esteem: Find ways to encourage
yourself to try again.
2. Build self-esteem: Visit a garden, preferably your
own, where you can pick flowers with a friend.
3. Build self-esteem: Discipline yourself to honor boundaries with firmness but not anger.
4. Build self-esteem: Don’t mock yourself or accept the teasing of others.
5. Build self-esteem: Celebrate your successes, large and tiny and all in between.
6. Build self-esteem: Establish routines that support the life you truly want to live.
* see below
Keep exploring and experimenting with these activities. You can become dependent and vulnerable to exploiting people if they seem to value you more than you do yourself. You can become demanding of others, wanting them to give you praise, opportunities and gifts to make us feel better about ourselves. We can become disheartened or jealous when others seem to get a high quality of attention that eludes us.
7. Build self-esteem: Establish routines that support the goals you want to achieve.
8. Build self-esteem: Establish routines that support the tasks you want to complete.
9. Build self-esteem: Free yourself of the need to like and do what others expect. Discover
your authentic life and live it.
10. Build self-esteem: Never say never.
11. Build self-esteem: Read your favorite books and short stories again.
12. Build self-esteem: Watch baby birds hatch or baby mammals being born.
Boosting yourself your self-esteem may be a challenge to you. It may take courage. You may risk disrupting entrenched patterns.
the benefits are vast and you will discover new sources of delight as you proceed.
Saving the best for last, here's break the mold thirteen.
13. Build self-esteem: Make it a point to do something lovely and nice for yourself every morning and just before you go to sleep every night.
Let me know how you do.
- Which ones are easy for you?
- Which are particularly challenging?
- Which surprise you because you didn't think they had anything to do with self-esteem?
Attribution: Margret Hofheinz-Döring / Galerie Brigitte Mauch Göppingen