menu
menu

TOPIC: Being a Girl - My Menstrual Cycle

Being a Girl - My Menstrual Cycle 6 years 11 months ago #293

Being in recovery has caused me to gain body fat and weight. Naturally. This means that I got my period for the first time in 2 years. I don't really know how to handle it. Any ideas or help? I have MPDD which means really bad cramps. Does anyone know how ease the pain? And the food cravings?
  • HisBrokenAngel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Keep Smiling - Even Through Pain :)
"Failure cannot overcome me, as long as my will to succeed is greater. Sometimes you just need to dust your knees off and let them knock you down again, but always get back up. Always."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Being a Girl - My Menstrual Cycle 6 years 11 months ago #294

Hi

For the cramps I would try a mild painkiller, applying something warm like a hot water bottle or a wheatsack, and gentle exercise - just going for a walk or similar.

For the food cravings - I find just trying to accept that it's a natural variation in your eating habits over the month helps. I eat that little bit extra, but try not to go for over-refined foods, and know that in a few days time I will probably want to eat a little less and that it will all even out over the course of the month. I suppose it's a case of listening to your body and going with the flow really.

Hope this helps a little!
  • shh
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
The following user(s) said Thank You: HisBrokenAngel

Re: Being a Girl - My Menstrual Cycle 6 years 11 months ago #295

also avoid a lot of sodium (salt) as it retains water and makes you feel more bloated and more crampy. I usually find that walking does help with the pain. I agree that a heating pad or hot water bottle would help. As far as the increased appetite...I would agree with shh..most of the time the cravings go way down after your cycle ends and it all evens out cuz you stop eating as much.
  • mylifex2
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30

Re: Being a Girl - My Menstrual Cycle 6 years 11 months ago #297

I agree with the tips that have been offered so far for the pain. If you go a few more months and things feel unbearable I'd definately go to a gynecologist and see if you can get some help. Re the cravings, my RD told me that our bodies burn a lot more calories when we have our periods. She said more fuel is needed to make the process happen. I try to remember that when I am craving and eating more than usual..."my body needs this because it is working harder than usual". That helps me be OK with it. It does feel a little scarey sometimes to have such big cravings but I find if I go ahead and give in to them instead of fighting them they go away quickly.
  • Laura R
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46

Re: Being a Girl - My Menstrual Cycle 6 years 11 months ago #302

Thanks everyone. Adjusting to the cravings is really scary. Especially giving in to them. But, like you said my body is working harder and it needs more fuel to do so. It will take some getting used to, but recovery is a long road and it doesn't happen over night.
  • HisBrokenAngel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Keep Smiling - Even Through Pain :)
"Failure cannot overcome me, as long as my will to succeed is greater. Sometimes you just need to dust your knees off and let them knock you down again, but always get back up. Always."
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds

Who's Online

We have 40 guests and no members online

Copyright © 2019